previous page   Pak Vet J, 2004, 24(3): 121-124   next page
 

USE OF MILK PROGESTERONE ASSAY FOR MONITORING OESTRUS AND EARLY PREGNANCY IN NILI-RAVI BUFFALOES

H.A. Samad, Nazir Ahmad, Bengmen, N.U. Rehman and Ijaz Ahmad

Department of Animal Reproduction, University of Agriculture, Faisalabad, Pakistan

Abstract

    In this study, the use of milk progesterone assay for oestrus detection and early pregnancy diagnosis in Nili-Ravi buffaloes was investigated. For this purpose, 100 milking buffaloes with clinically normal reproductive tract were used. Oestrus was detected on the basis of visual signs and uterine changes observed through rectal palpation. These buffaloes were then inseminated on day of oestrus. Three milk samples were taken from each buffalo, one each on day of insemination and then on 10-12 and 21-22 days post insemination. These animals were rectally examined for pregnancy 60 days after insemination. The milk samples were analyzed for progesterone concentrations through RIA.            Out of 100 buffaloes observed to be in oestrus on the basis of visual signs and rectal examination, 94% showed the milk progesterone concentrations ranging from 0.01 to 0.90 ng/ml, whereas in only 6% animals, milk progesterone concentrations ranged from 3.31 to 7.44 ng/ml. Thus, 6% buffaloes seemed to have been inseminated during luteal phase. On day 21-22, out of 84 buffaloes examined, 50(59.52%) showed the milk progesterone concentrations >2.0 ng/ml and were assumed to be pregnant. However, when 41 out of these 50 animals were rectally examined 60 days post insemination, 36(87.81%) were found pregnant. Perhaps there was early embryonic death in the remaining 5(12.19%) buffaloes. It was concluded that milk progesterone assay may be used to evaluate the accuracy of clinically diagnosed oestrus, as well as for early pregnancy diagnosis in Nili-Ravi buffaloes.

Key words: Milk progesterone, oestrus, early pregnancy, buffaloes.

 
   

ISSN 0253-8318 (Print)
ISSN 2074-7764 (Online)



scopus
 
DOI
 
DOAJ SEAL